HSSE Specialist (High Hazard)
Profile HSSE Specialist (High Hazard)
Are you an expert in high-hazard safety? Can you minimise risks associated with high-hazard operations and promote process safety management?
For one of our clients, an energy company, we are looking for an HSSE Specialist. In this role, you will be responsible for being the subject matter expert in high-hazard safety. This includes interpreting relevant nuclear site/safety and major accident legislation and developing practical and pragmatic arrangements for their implementation. By doing so, you will contribute to the company's goal of achieving excellent standards of Process Safety Management.
Tasks & responsibilities:
- Provide pragmatic and useful advice and guidance in high-hazard safety, including compliance with nuclear and high-hazard regulations, and process safety. You will collaborate with the Strategy and Planning team and gather continual intelligence around the site, building constructive relationships with a wide range of interested parties.
- Provide technical expertise to develop and implement a management system that ensures compliance with relevant high-hazard laws, particularly the Nuclear Installations Act (and associated regulations) and the Control of Major Accident Hazards regulations. Additionally, provide advice on the practical implementation within the companies involved at the project site.
- Provide statutory advice and challenge to leadership across the project site in terms of regulatory compliance performance concerning high-hazard regulation. This includes working collaboratively with other areas of the business at the project site to identify and implement learning and improvement strategies and activities. Additionally, act as a coach and mentor to others across the site in high-hazard and process safety.
- Deliver a range of generic HSSE activities as required by departmental management, including leading and contributing to investigations, audits inspections, continual improvement, etc.
- Act as Contract Manager and IC as required for relevant contracts related to the HSSE service.
- Develop and implement appropriate internal performance reporting tools, and embed them into the running of the three businesses in collaboration with the Strategy and Planning team. Additionally, ensure external (including regulatory) reporting requirements are met in the field of high-hazard and process safety.
Requirements HSSE Specialist (High Hazard)
- Essential: NEBOSH Certificate in Process Safety Management or equivalent.
- Essential: NEBOSH General Certificate (or a commitment to work towards).
- Essential: Recognised lead auditor training (or a commitment to work towards).
- Essential: Appropriate instruction in conducting investigations, as well as Root Cause Analysis (or a commitment to work towards).
- Driving for results (level 4)
- Working collaboratively (level 3)
- Acting decisively (level 4)
- Customer orientation (level 4)
- Building a learning culture (level 3)
- Essential: Previous, proven experience in providing process safety and high-hazard regulations compliance advice in an industrial environment.
- Essential: Experience working with and/or developing Integrated Management Systems or Safety Management Systems.
- Essential: Experience of successfully influencing at all levels of a business, including where conflicting priorities exist, and beyond own reporting line.
- Desirable: Experience working within nuclear, COMAH, or other high-hazard industries, including interacting with relevant regulators.
Specific know-how and technical skills
- Essential: Organised and fully autonomous, able to program and prioritise work, coordinate efforts with others, and keep leadership informed of progress and obstacles.
- Essential: Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to explain concepts in simple terms, excellent interpersonal skills, the ability to liaise with all levels of the organisation, and the ability to gain trust and engagement with disparate parts of the site. Proficient in Microsoft Office applications such as Word, Excel, Visio, Atlantic Link, and PowerPoint.
- Essential: The ability to coach and support learning in the working environment, support the development of individuals and foster cross-functionality within the wider HSSE team.
- Essential: Problem-solving and analytical skills, and the ability to identify opportunities for improvement and implement measures to achieve them.
- Essential: Broad knowledge of the legislative landscape applicable to the project site.
- Essential: Previous experience in developing, managing, and/or implementing management frameworks for high-hazard safety in the nuclear or process industries.